A century ago Missionary Carl M. Padgett established the Church of God on Green Turtle Cay, a small island in the Bahamas. Now the oldest continuing Church of God outside the United States, the local church was set in order on July 24, 1913.
The first ministry of the Church of God outside the United States occurred when Bahamian Edmond S. Barr and his American-born wife, Rebecca, arrived in Nassau in November 1909. Robert M. and Ida Evans, along with Carl Padgett, joined them the following January. Robert Evans and Edmond Barr reportedly visited Green Turtle Cay in 1911 resulting in the conversion of Mira Roberts and the establishment of a mission there. Later appointed as national overseer, Carl M. Padgett returned to the tiny island in 1913 and set the church in order on July 24 with eight members.
The congregation took the name “Miracle Church of God” as a testimony to the miraculous way in which its current facility was purchased, furnished, and expanded. The Bahamian government had placed a freeze on borrowing money, but after much prayer the freeze was unexpectedly lifted when property became available to the church in 1991. Members and friends responded generously to the ministry vision which allowed the church to be furnished and the mortgage paid in less than five years. Bishop Johnny T. Lowe has served as pastor for the past 19 years during which the congregation has grown significantly.
© 2020 Pentecostal Research Center